- Send a short email saying, “Hi Professor, I’m in your Math 200 class this term and I just wanted to let you know that I have been struggling with my mental health lately.
- Try not to sound like you are asking for special treatment.
How do you tell a teacher you are struggling mentally?
You don’t have to disclose specific conditions or provide a comprehensive overview in your email. Instead, just let your professor know you’re struggling and consider asking for something specific, such as an extension for a particular assignment or extra time to complete a project.
What to do if someone is mentally unstable and won’t get help?
You can call a crisis line or the National Suicide Prevention Line at 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If you think your friend or family member is in need of community mental health services you can find help in your area.
Should I tell my professor I have anxiety?
If you are struggling with your mental health and you’d like to talk to your professor about it, set up an office hours appointment with them, ask if you can make up any missed assignments you may have, and keep checking in with your professor throughout the term.
Is it okay to skip class for mental health?
Mental health is also super important! If you’re overwhelmed and anxious and really just need a break, take one! Remember, classes are NOT mandatory, you do NOT need to go to every one. Missing one class will not be the end of the world, and MENTAL HEALTH IS SO IMPORTANT.
How do I ask my professor for an extension?
- Read the syllabus or assignment.
- Ask your instructor as early as possible.
- Reach out via email with a specific request.
- Ask for a shorter extension if possible.
- Demonstrate your commitment to the class.
How do you explain to your teacher you have anxiety?
Explain that you would like to talk to them privately about some challenges you are experiencing, and ask when may be convenient for them. This might be during a free period, lunch time, or after school. Make sure that there will be adequate time for discussion, so that the conversation is not rushed.
How do you email a professor for an extension?
Dear [Insert Teacher’s Name], I am emailing you to ask for an extension on [assignment], which is due [original due date]. I would really appreciate an extension because I have a very busy week, and I would like more time to devote towards my assignment.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
- Excessive paranoia, worry, or anxiety.
- Long-lasting sadness or irritability.
- Extreme changes in moods.
- Social withdrawal.
- Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping pattern.
What is a psychotic break?
This is a psychotic break — when someone loses touch with reality, experiencing delusions (false beliefs) or hallucinations (seeing or hearing things that are not there) and what’s called “disorganized” speech.
What are the signs of a mentally unstable person?
- Feeling sad or down.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping.
Do teachers care about students mental health?
Teachers can take steps in their classroom to help recognize mental health issues in students. They can educate themselves and others on the symptoms of mental health issues, provide a safe environment, encourage good health, and help students access mental health resources.
Is it okay to stay home from school because of anxiety?
Let your child know that while physical symptoms of anxiety, such as stomachaches, headaches, and fatigue, are certainly unpleasant, they are not dangerous. Generally, children should only stay home from school for fever (at least 100.4° F), vomiting, or a few other reasons.
Can you be excused from school for depression?
This idea resulted in House Bill 234, sponsored by Representative Jefferson Moss, which amended the law to clarify that a valid excuse for illness can be for “physical or mental illness.” With the bill’s unanimous passage, parents whose children have a bad day due to anxiety, depression, temptations of suicide, or …
Should schools let students have mental health days?
Giving students mental health days makes teaching and learning more effective as students will grasp concepts sooner and retain them more deeply if they experience less chronic stress. Shenker notes that schools have consistently communicated that students’ production and performance levels are top priority.
How do I ask for an extension due to illness example?
I am emailing you to request an extension. Three days ago, I had a severe allergic reaction and was hospitalized. Because of my illness, my problem-solution essay will not be complete by tomorrow’s deadline. Half of my draft is finished, and an extension would allow me to finish the essay.
How do you politely ask for an extension deadline example?
I am emailing you to ask if it might be possible to be granted additional time for the [name of assignment] due on [due date of assignment]. Unfortunately, I am behind with this assignment because [give reason why you will not complete your assignment on time and attach supporting documentation, if any].
How do you write a letter asking for an extension?
To write a letter asking for an extension, start with a formal salutation, like “Dear Professor Montgomery.” Then, in the body of your letter, state that you’d like an extension and explain why you need one. You should also include a new, realistic deadline that you think you can meet.
How do I talk to my boss about mental health?
- Remember it’s no different to reporting a physical health problem.
- Write down what you’re feeling.
- Focus on your productivity and ability to do your job.
- It’s up to you how much you want to disclose.
- Don’t sweat about the so-called stigma.
Dear [name of teacher, professor or manager/HR team], I wanted to let you know that I’ve been struggling with my mental health recently [you may want to tell them exactly what you’ve been dealing with, such as depression, anxiety, difficulties at home, etc. – or just say that you’ve been feeling low!].
How do you email a teacher about personal issues?
- You are a student, and they are a professor.
- Be concise and direct.
How do you write an email extension?
- Use formal and polite language.
- Give date expecting to return.
- Be brief about the reason for the extension.
- Express your gratitude in advance.
- Apologize for the inconvenience.
How long of an extension should I ask for?
If you’re asking for an extension, don’t ask for anything longer than three days. If you do, you’re professor will likely think that you procrastinated the whole semester. To prove that you haven’t, it may be to your advantage to send in a rough draft to prove that you have at least been working on it.
How do you politely ask deadline in an email?
- by day / date / deadline.
- We will need this by day / date / deadline.
- We have a deadline on day / date that we need to meet.
- We need to meet our deadline by day / date.
- This task’s due date is day / date.
- Our timeframe for finishing this task is day / date.
What are 3 early warning signs of possible mental health problems?
- Excessive worrying or fear.
- Feeling excessively sad or low.
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning.
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria.