- What the Experts Say.
- Thank them for telling you.
- Tell them you want to support them — but don’t overpromise.
- Don’t make it about you.
- Maintain confidentiality.
- Consider what changes you can make.
- Ask for help from others.
What do you say to a coworker struggling with mental health?
As mental health can be a very sensitive matter, you don’t just want to come right out and put a label on your co-worker. Instead, ask them how they’re doing. Let them tell you what’s going on. If your colleague feels comfortable and wants to open up about their mental health, they will.
How do you deal with a mentally unstable coworker?
- Observe patterns and understand the person’s emotional triggers.
- Don’t take the person’s behavior personally or make the problem worse by overreacting.
- Stay courteous and respectful in all your interactions with the person.
How do you start a conversation with someone about their mental health?
Find a quiet place with an informal atmosphere, such as a café. A conversation about mental health shouldn’t feel like a formal interview. Actively listen to the person by giving them your undivided attention. Leave any questions or comments until the person has finished, so you don’t interrupt them.
How do I tell my coworker to back off?
- Start With Something Positive. Hey, we all have feelings, and it’s never easy to be told we’re wrong.
- Avoid Sounding Authoritative. Sure, you’re probably great at your job.
- Utilize Questions When Appropriate.
- Provide Evidence.
- Offer Help.
- Use a Gentle, Helpful Tone.
What are the signs of a mentally unstable person?
- Feeling sad or down.
- Confused thinking or reduced ability to concentrate.
- Excessive fears or worries, or extreme feelings of guilt.
- Extreme mood changes of highs and lows.
- Withdrawal from friends and activities.
- Significant tiredness, low energy or problems sleeping.
What are the 5 signs of mental illness?
- Excessive paranoia, worry, or anxiety.
- Long-lasting sadness or irritability.
- Extreme changes in moods.
- Social withdrawal.
- Dramatic changes in eating or sleeping pattern.
What is a toxic coworker?
Some of the identifying traits of a toxic coworker include: If they’re rude and disrespectful. If they’re confrontational and aggressive. If they blame others for their mistakes. If they’re always greedy and unsatisfied.
How do you distance yourself from a toxic coworker?
- Limit Your Exposure (to the Best of Your Ability) Do what you can to limit your exposure to your toxic colleague.
- Don’t Suffer in Silence.
- Look After Yourself.
- Spin Your Own Story.
- The VERY Last Resort.
How do you start a conversation with someone who is struggling?
- Let people know you’re willing to talk about #MentalHealth.
- What can you say to someone you think may be struggling?
- The timing doesn’t have to be perfect.
- What if they hesitate?
- Would they be more comfortable talking to someone else?
- What if they tell you they really are having a hard time?
How do you talk to someone who is struggling mentally?
Express concern and say you can help Letting someone know you’re worried is a good way to open up a conversation – it shows you care about the person, have time for them and that they do not have to avoid things with you.
How do you start a wellbeing conversation?
Start the conversation by telling them that you have noticed that they don’t seem their usual self and describe the changes you’ve noticed in their mood or behaviour. Tell them you are worried about them and ask about what is bothering them.
How do you handle high anxiety employees?
Things like setting clear expectations, giving clear information, and being flexible with individual team members can go a long way in creating an environment where all employees, including those with anxiety disorders, can thrive.
How do you deal with an employee with depression?
Be positive – focus on what employees can do, rather than what they can’t. Work together and involve people in finding solutions as much as possible. Remember people are often the expert when it comes to identifying the support or adjustment they need and how to manage their triggers for poor mental health.
Should I quit my job if it is affecting my mental health?
Quitting a job to save your mental health can be worthwhile — especially if the environment is toxic and you have no support for your mental health in the workplace — but quitting without a plan will not solve everything. Try your best to leave your job on good terms.
How do you deal with two faced coworkers?
- Keep calm. Once you discover that backstabbing coworkers are acting against you, intense feelings of anger, pressure, and sadness usually develop.
- Find out exactly what happened.
- Meet with your boss.
- Talk to that co-worker.
- Create a plan to protect yourself.
How do you be assertive with a rude coworker?
Talk to this person in private and address your concerns. Ask questions to give you an idea of what’s behind the behavior while simultaneously taking an assertive approach to let it be known you’re not a pushover. For example, “You interrupt me every time I begin my report in a meeting, and I find that incredibly rude.
How do you handle a know it all at work?
- Acknowledge them / their idea. The truth is most know-it-alls just want to be acknowledged.
- Present your own opinion or solution.
- Provide facts and research.
- Let them know you’ve made up your mind.
What does a mental breakdown look like?
Some event or change in your life is causing you an intense amount of stress, which is causing symptoms such as fear, anxiety, worry, nervousness and depression. You may feel “stuck,” overwhelmed or incapacitated, which makes you unable to cope and function with life.
How does a mentally unstable person act?
Feeling excessively sad or low. Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning. Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria. Prolonged or strong feelings of irritability or anger.
What are the early warning signs of psychosis?
- A worrisome drop in grades or job performance.
- Trouble thinking clearly or concentrating.
- Suspiciousness or uneasiness with others.
- A decline in self-care or personal hygiene.
- Spending a lot more time alone than usual.
- Strong, inappropriate emotions or having no feelings at all.
What are 3 early warning signs of possible mental health problems?
- Excessive worrying or fear.
- Feeling excessively sad or low.
- Confused thinking or problems concentrating and learning.
- Extreme mood changes, including uncontrollable “highs” or feelings of euphoria.
What triggers mental illness?
The exact cause of most mental disorders is not known, but research suggests that a combination of factors, including heredity, biology, psychological trauma, and environmental stress, might be involved.
What are the 7 main mental disorders?
- Anxiety Disorders.
- Mood Disorders.
- Psychotic Disorders.
- Eating Disorders.
- Personality Disorders.
How do you clear air from a coworker?
Breathe deeply and calm your mind. Evaluate the feelings that come up when you think about interacting with your coworker, then release them. Move forward with a clear vision, void of emotional hangups.